Gordon Novod is a director at Grant & Eisenhofer, focusing his practice on corporate restructuring and creditors’ rights. He has seventeen years of experience representing ad hoc and official committees, distressed investors, lenders, litigation trustees, indenture trustees, trade creditors, and other parties in some of the most complex landmark restructurings and in litigation matters.
Mr. Novod’s industry experience spans the automotive, chemical, construction, energy, entertainment, gaming, manufacturing, media, mining, and retail sectors. He has negotiated, drafted, and litigated all aspects of Chapter 11 plans of reorganization, valuation, and plan confirmation proceedings, contested debtor-in-possession financing and cash collateral use, the pursuit of fraudulent conveyance actions, and other matters involving bankruptcy-related and distressed litigation. He also has extensive experience reviewing, advising clients on, and litigating issues related to corporate debt securities in default and distressed situations, including exchange transactions, redemptions, and the Trust Indenture Act.
Mr. Novod prides himself on providing high quality advocacy to clients, keeping their business objectives in mind, thereby enabling him to build lasting relationships. He is also able to grasp complex legal and business issues in order to craft and implement innovative, yet practical solutions to maximize value for clients.
On numerous occasions, Mr. Novod has been acknowledged for his work as a restructuring attorney. In 2011, Law360 called him one of the “Rising Stars” in restructuring and “one of the five bankruptcy attorneys under 40 to watch.” He was also named a finalist in the M&A Advisor’s “40 under 40.” The following year, he was recognized as a “Winner of the 2012 40 Under 40 East M&A Advisor Recognition Awards” and New York Super Lawyers – Bankruptcy, “Rising Stars.” From 2013 to 2018, he was selected to New York Metro Super Lawyers in Bankruptcy. In addition, he has served on the New York City Bar Association’s Committee on Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization.
Prior to joining G&E, Mr. Novod was a partner in the bankruptcy & corporate restructuring group at Brown Rudnick in New York. He also formerly practiced in the corporate restructuring and bankruptcy group at Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP.
Mr. Novod’s prominent engagements include:
- The Appvion Liquidating Trust
- Caesars Entertainment Operating Company, Inc. (unsecured noteholder and proposed class representative)
- CoBank, ACB (ad hoc noteholder committee)
- AgriBank, FCB (unsecured noteholders and proposed class plaintiffs)
- The Refco Litigation Trust
- ShengdaTech, Inc. (ad hoc noteholder committee)
- Chesapeake Energy Corp. (unsecured noteholders and proposed class representatives)
- Cliffs Natural Resources (unsecured noteholders and proposed class representatives)
- Vanguard Natural Resources (unsecured noteholders and proposed class representatives)
- Alpha Natural Resources, Inc. (state court litigants)
- CJ Holding, Co. (state court litigants)
- SunEdison, Inc. (state court litigants)
- Tribune Company (indenture trustee)
- Central European Distribution Corporation (ad hoc committee of convertible noteholders)
- Lyondell Chemical Company (creditors’ committee)
- Herbst Gaming, Inc. (creditors’ committee)
- Lehman Brothers (ad hoc consortium of claimholders of Lehman Brothers Special Financing, Inc.)
- Green Valley Ranch Gaming, LLC (ad hoc committee of second lien lenders)
- Palm Harbor Homes, Inc. (indenture trustee)
- Equisearch Services, Inc. (trade creditor)
- General Motors Corporation (n/k/a Motors Liquidation Company) (creditors’ committee)
- Charter Communications, Inc. (ad hoc first lien lenders)
- Bridgeport Holdings, Inc. (Micro Warehouse, Inc.) (debtors)
- Midway Games, Inc. (secured lender)
- Bethlehem Steel Corp. (creditors’ committee)
- WCI Steel, Inc. (ad hoc noteholders’ committee and indenture trustee)
- Delphi Corp. (trade creditor and member of the creditors’ committee)
- Grace Industries, Inc. (creditors’ committee)
- Wave Wireless Corp. (secured lender)
- Diomed, Inc. (licensor and chairman of the creditors’ committee)
- TransCare Corp. (creditors’ committee)
- Buffets Holdings, Inc. (ad hoc noteholders’ committee)
- ASARCO LLC (majority noteholders)
- WestPoint Stevens, Inc. (second lien agent)
Mr. Novod has been a featured panelist and/or moderator on topics involving distressed situations, indenture litigation, indenture analysis, and fraudulent conveyance litigation, including:
- Moderator, “Current Issues in Bankruptcy & Antitrust,” Institutional Investor Educational Foundation – 17us Global Shareholder Activism Conference (November 30 – December 1, 2017)
- Speaker, “Out-of-Court Restructuring and the Trust Indenture Act,” Institutional Investor Legal Forum Fall 2016 Roundtable (October 28, 2016)
- Moderator, “E&P Restructurings – A Landscape Unlike Traditional Restructurings,” Institutional Investor Educational Foundation – Bankruptcy Litigation Roundtable (October 6, 2016)
- Moderator, “Fraudulent Conveyance Actions, the Trust Indenture Act and No Action Clauses – New Rights for Bondholders?” Institutional Investor Educational Foundation – Bankruptcy Litigation Roundtable (October 21, 2015)
Mr. Novod received his J.D. from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University, and his B.A. from Emory University.